Honestly, it shouldn’t have taken me this long to read this incredible book. It’s SO heavy though. Literally. You know I love reading on the subway, but lugging this hard cover with high quality paper around was too much for me. I can appreciate the thick paper stock that Amy selected, I’m all about books versus Kobo e-readers, yet I tended to be reluctant to bring it with me. It’s not looking good for hardcovers. Although, Mindy Kaling’s memoir – a soft cover with crappy paper – doesn’t even compare.
All in all, I’ve never had so many pull quotes from one source in my life. Amy is wise, hilarious and to the point when she busts out life lessons or something she’s learned and wants to share with her readers. According to Meagan (and I agree) Amy gives advice in an honest way that isn’t condescending. Her levels of vulnerability as she discusses her divorce, kids, career and journey through life, makes you want to listen. Deeply listen. Not only is Amy a people person, but she is both street smart and book smart – in the words of Meagan.
- “Did you know that when your water breaks the best thing to do is stand up? Your baby acts like a plug.”
- “The pressure of ‘what are you going to do?’ makes everybody feel like they haven’t done anything yet.”
- “It’s easier to be brace when you’re not alone.”
- “My only job was to surround myself with people who respected and supported that choice. Being foolish was the smartest thing to do.”
- “I’m at the point in my life now where delivering a b-minus performance on a televised show with some of my comedy heroes doesn’t ruin my week. I don’t know if that is the most inspiring or most depressing sentence I have ever typed, but there you have it.”
- “The only thing we can depend on in life is that everything changes. The seasons, our partners, what we want and need.”
- “Your ability to navigate and tolerate change and its painful uncomfortableness directly correlates to your happiness and general well-being.”
- “Life is endings and beginnings.”
- “I think that if you can dance and be free and not embarrassed you can rule the world.”
- “The only way we will survive is by being kind. The only way we can get by in this world is through the help we receive from others. No one can do it alone, no matter how great the machines are.”